These are books related to Plan 9, its ideas, its design and its style.
- The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering by Frederick P. Brooks.
- Lions' Commentary on UNIX by John Lions. (Ps and Pdf versions of the book; prepared source code for v6 Unix: Ps and Postscript and HTML versions)
- The Unix Programming Environment by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike. ISBN 0-13-937681-X (paperback), 0-13-937699-2 (hardback).
- The Practice of Programming by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike. ISBN 0-201-61586-X.
- The C Programming Language by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie. ISBN 0-13-110362-8 (second edition, paperback)
- The AWK Programming Language by Alfred V. Aho, Brian W. Kernighan and Peter J. Weinberger. ISBN 0-201-07981-X.
- Communicating Sequential Processes (CSP) by Tony Hoare - CSP is the concurrency model used in Inferno and thread(2) - For more information see http://www.usingcsp.com
- Das Netzbetriebssystem Plan 9 von Hans-Peter Bischof, Gunter Imeyer, Bernhard Kühl. (In German. Outdated, it only covers 2nd edition); Now available from lulu
INFERNO AND LIMBO
- Inferno Programming with Limbo by Phillip Stanley-Marbell. ISBN: 0-470-84352-7 (Slightly outdated).
- Principles of Operating Systems: Design and Applications by Brian L Stuart. ISBN: 1-4188-3769-5 (general operating systems textbook with coverage of Inferno internals)