Please list the software you are working (or plan to be working) on in the first sections below. Listing the date and your name or email address for contact would be good too.
(The following sections are to be moved to their own page)
The WISH LIST section below is for stuff in your to-do list that you would like others to do.
- upas/fs modified to leave mail messages on remote media rather than loading them into RAM; see p9p's upas/fs.
- Making the fmt library more portable by safer use of varargs and adding %'d and %4$d POSIX extensions for internationalization. -- rob
- TinyGL. A very light implementation of a subset of the OpenGL graphics library. Already ported to several non-X windowing environments -- mirtchov@cpsc, stalled, better shoot for the real thing and port MesaGL. This has also stalled for a year -- the software rendering compiles with ape/pcc, but the driver for draw() is half-done.
- Coreboot Mods needed to get Plan9 to load directly from flash (no 9load) via Coreboot. Also see if I can get POST codes into the startup code -- makes debugging new platforms tons easier. No impact once the node is up.
- Read-only FFS (both UFS1 and UFS2) -- wkj
- Native port of GSL (GNU Scientific Library): numerical integration almost working, random distributions in progress -- -- ++pac 2005Apr29
- 802.1x supplicant. in progress, /n/sources/contrib/axel/8021x . Only supports ttls-pap. I can now also test peap here; no clue yet whether it is worth to add support for it. -- email@example.com
- DFS layer to go on top of aux/cifs - currently a working DFS client has been bodged into cifs, the separate layer will grow from this -- Steve
- Add client authentication to TLS in libsec -- ckeen
- Port to PowerPC iMac http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~412/projects/9mac/. Apparently stopped in 2005.
- PPC970 Port (in faith, haven't started yet, but going to shortly) -- ericvh
- htmlfmt to understand tables. - I am working on it now. You can find the latest update at /n/sources/contrib/pietro/htmlfmt.tgz -- pietro
- IBM Research Hypervisor Support for x86/ppc kernels (11/2004) -- ericvh
- 64-bit MIPS port. Currently targeted towards SGI's R4K+ systems. -- tim at nop dot cx
HARDWARE DRIVERS IN PROGRESS
STALLED HARDWARE DRIVERS
- GigE driver for the SysKonnect family of cards (work in progress) -- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Broadcom BCM5751M Gigabit ethernet. George Gensure was working on this, see 9fans passim. Overview
- Centrino wifi driver, mostly written, needs to be finished, see /n/sources/contrib/rsc/ipw2200
- x86 emulator to run the VESA BIOS on PCs, basic emulator already exists in /n/sources/contrib/rsc/8i. See x86emu.
- Implement some form of compression in devssl and devtls and make drawterm use it.
- tiff(1) in a similar vein to jpg(1), png(1) etc. Andrey has already ported libtiff see /n/sources/contrig/andrey/libtiff.tgz which should help.
- webdavfs - for MS Exchange
- Kerberos 5 client
- replica/pull to have a -m (3 way merge) option
- GUI image manipulation program - page(1) crossed with sam(1) which calls resample(1) and crop(1) (and other tools) would love to see this implemented in Acme.... -- [++pac
- A basic http/ftp proxy - maybe cache/regex advert stripping too.
- A new option to the fossil console snap command, allowing an already ingested vac score to be inserted into the /archive tree.
- cryptfs (see http://www.crypto.com/papers/cfs.pdf).
- GEOM-Based Disk Encryption (GBDE); see http://phk.freebsd.dk/pubs/bsdcon-03.gbde.paper.pdf and http://lists.cse.psu.edu/archives/9fans/2005-February/040378.html.
- LDAP File System Server
- Linux binary emulator linuxemu in theory, linuxemu ld-linux.so.1 bin/a.dynamic is supposed to work, but unfortunately ld-linux.so.1 wants to be loaded where the linuxemu text segment is. you'd need to move the linuxemu text segment somewhere else and then segdetach it before calling elfload. it's entirely doable, especially since x86 code is position independent. ... The libraries have changed since I did the initial work ... looks like there are new system calls to implement! -- Russ Cox
- Tk emulator/port.
- Input server for Chinese/Japanese/Korean.
- Some sort of user space emulator, like qemu, for Plan 9.
- A way for acme applications to set the 'scratch' flag (especially for win)
- Acme graphics capability & turning Acme to full UI Command window instead of menus, or taglines, everywhere. Maybe a single system cmd win connected to the last touched win -- ++pac
- DOS binary emulator, just plain DOS, not Win -- ++pac
- Fine-tuned mouse control (plenty of mice have more than three buttons and it would be nice to see Plan 9 be able to remap the buttons as desired). For example, I might want to have physical button #5 interpreted as someone pressing logical button #1.
HARDWARE DRIVERS WANTED
- XHCI, USB 3
- Bluetooth, probably via USB (see email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org)
- dual-display VGA support
- IRDA comms
- AC97 support
- Nvidia Forcedeth Gigabit ethernet
- port to Routerboard RB450G - geoff
- port to Raspberry Pi by Richard Miller.
- new bootstraps that use normal kernel drivers - geoff
- port to multi-core ARM v7 Compulab Trimslice - geoff
- SSH v2, courtesy Brian Stuart. Requires manual setup; see ssh1(1), ssh2(1) and ssh(4), especially the BUGS sections.
- ACPI support, see http://www.acpi.info/. Minimal parsing of MADT tables for secondary CPUs is working, early 2012.
- 64-bit PowerPC compilers done: email@example.com; gradually moving into distrib
- Currently at sources: /nemo Redirfs: Fail over from one file server to another. Working. Still on testing. -- firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A read-only version of upas/fs that you can export via 9P2000 to be used for people to browse/search 9fans and plan9dev without having to use Google: Use exportfs -R; the TIP9UG guys plan to set this up on their public servers.
- A port of AT&T GraphViz - open source graph drawing software (see http://www.graphviz.org/). Compiled graphviz-1.10 with mk and pcc (dot, neato, twopi). The plan9 source is at http://www2.davidashen.net/graphviz-p9.tbz -- email@example.com
- 64-bit (or 32-bit) version of /sys/src/fs with IDE DMA and RWM, Intel Gbe driver, longer filename components and more http://www.collyer.net/sys/doc/fs64/fs.ps. The distribution is http://www.collyer.net/who/geoff/9/fs64.tgz. -- geoff
- Unionfs. To merge several trees without binding each directory. For example, to make a patch for a read only media. (see Divergefs)
- Snmpfs v1 and v2. To access snmp tables from devices. The source is in http://www.9grid.es. -- gabidiaz
- SPF Sender Policy Framework parser/checker for use in /mail/lib/validatesender. http://www.9grid.es. -- gabidiaz
- USB disk support, allowing access to IPods and other usb storage devices.
- USB keyboard driver. (Some motherboards provide BIOS options to emulate USB keyboards as PS2 keyboards, but this doesn't work for everyone.)
- a mechanism to lock-focus in ACME (particularly for locking focus in the menu bars) to help make things more useable in the face of mouse drift: acme -b.
- cdfs capable of writing DVDs & Blu-ray discs.
- tarfs, and scuzz not limited to 2GB, to allow to burn tarDVD's -- ++pac.
- SFTP client that will give file access to a remote ssh server
- EHCI high-speed USB
(The following sections are to be moved to their own page)