GSoC Admin Expectations
In GSoC, Organization Administrators have the responsiblity of making sure the organization's involvement in the program goes smoothly, that appropriate communication is happening, and some administrivia. Here's what to expect from your org admins.
This year, the primary admin is Anthony Sorace; the backup mentor is Erik Quanstrom.
- Organization admins will complete all the required forms, registration materials, organization profiles, and so on, in a timely manner.
- Admins will follow at least the weekly project reports from students and mentors to ensure work is progressing. In the event that these aren't coming in as expected, admins will contact the mentors first, and then the students if necessary.
- Admins will actively contact each mentor on a weekly basis (most likely Monday or Tuesday, after the weekly status reports from students have gone out) to ensure that all's going well. In the event of problems, admins will take corrective action, most likely communicating with the backup mentor(s) and then the students.
- Admins will check in with students at the beginning of the community bonding period, the beginning of the code period, once before midterm, and once a week or so before the suggested "pencils down" date, to ensure their communications with their mentors are going well. Admins will not try to inject themselves into the student-mentor relationship, but should make sure the student is having a productive and enjoyable time.
- Admins will check completion of student and mentor midterm and final reviews and will provide gentle reminders of unfinished forms as the deadlines near.
- In the event both the primary and backup mentors become unavailable, org admins will be prepared to either find another suitable mentor from the community or, as a last resort, serve as an intermediary to the community generally.
- In all cases above, actions to be performed by "admins" will be expected of the primary admin, with the backup following along well enough to pick up tasks in case the primary gets hit by a bus or goes awol.