Plan 9 provides the usual complement of ftp, telnet, and rexec clients and servers though the servers require secure challenge/response authentication using either a securenet(8) card or a software simulation of it.
- Plan 9 has an ssh client and server, though these support only SSHv1 at present, though SSHv2 is in progress (see TODO list). Alternatively an OpenSSH port is available as a contrib(1) package, though sadly this fails to integrate with factotum(4) making it rather clunky to use.
To enable ssh v1 under OpenSSH on a debian based Linux machine. First ensure the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file contains the lines:
Protocol 2,1 HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_keyThen run the following commands as root:
ssh-keygen -t rsa1 -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key chmod 644 /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key /etc/init.d/ssh restartNo doubt other linuices are similar, but slightly different.
- NFS filesystems may be imported into a Plan 9 system using nfs(4), Plan 9 also has an NFS server nfsserver(8) which may export parts of a Plan 9 file server to foreign systems.
- Posix systems may share their filesystems by running u9fs(4) (usually invoked from inetd) which exports some or all of the local filesystem to a remote Plan 9 system using the native Plan 9 file protocol. Can run from inetd or start from Plan 9 using srvssh.
- Netware filesystems may be imported using ncpfs(4) which is distributed separately from the main Plan 9 release in /n/sources/contrib/steve/ncpfs.tar.bz2
- CIFS (Windows or samba) filesystems may be imported using cifs which is distributed separately from the main Plan 9 release by Steve Simon. To get it, you will first need Federico Benevento's contrib system, and then CIFS:
9fs sources # if not already done /n/sources/contrib/fgb/root/rc/bin/contrib/install fgb/contrib # get contrib system contrib/install steve/cifs # get CIFS
- Plan 9 files may be served to windows clients with aquarela(8).
- Another option using the native 9p protocol is the hubfs shell multiplexer. It functions similarly to screen/tmux and allows persistent shells shared from another operating system to Plan 9 and vice versa. It is found in contrib/mycroftiv/hubfs1.1.